A.k.a paediatric dentistry, is the practice and teaching of comprehensive, preventive and therapeutic oral health care of child from birth through adolescence. It is contrued to include care for children who demonstrate mental, physical or emotional problems.
Child is nature’s most benevolent creation. The child is not just a miniature adult but a dynamic organism undergoing constant mental, physical and emotional changes. Bring your child to dentist to determine what is the best treatment plan at the moment.
- Waiting until all permanent teeth have erupted to begin treatment with braces can unfortunately lead to irreversible damage affecting not only the teeth, but also the child’s overall health and development.Myobraces® system is a preventive pre-orthodontic treatment that focuses on addressing the underlying causes of crooked teeth, often without the need for braces or extraction of teeth, unlocking natural growth and development.
- The treatment involves using a series of removable intra-oral appliances that are worn for 1-2 hours each day plus overnight while sleeping. The Myobraces ® helps to correct poor oral habits, develops and aligns the jaws, straightens the teeth, optimises facial development and promotes healthy eating habits
- Similarly,the device will only work with compliance of your child, meaning that your child must wear the device as instructed. Upon completion of the treatment, a retainer is usually required to prevent relapse from occurring. With good compliance and providing the correct oral habits are maintained, Myobrace® treatment allows for more stable orthodontic results and improved overall health.
Pulpotomy & Pulpectomy
- Children are generally more prone to tooth decay mainly because of lack of awareness, cariogenic (sugary) diet and lack of dexterity to maintain good oral hygiene. When the tooth decay has progressed into the pulp where the nerves and blood supplies are, the pulp becomes inflamed. If the inflammation is not too extensive, a pulpotomycan be performed by removing a portion of the pulp which are diseased,while preserving the remaining healthy pulp tissue to maintain the vitality of the tooth.
- In contrast, when the pulp has gone beyond repair, a pulpectomy procedure can be done instead by removing the entire pulp tissue. This procedure may require more than 1 visit for the dentist to place a special medicament to disinfect the tooth. After removal of infection, the tooth will be filled with filling material. The tooth may also require a stainless-steel crown if protection is needed to prevent fracture of the tooth.
- These 2 procedures are primarily being done on baby teeth to keep them until it is time for the permanent teeth to grow out. If baby teeth are lost or extracted at early age before the time for permanent teeth eruption, permanent first molars of the child which are erupted around the age of 6 to 7, will shift forward to the wrong position leading to future malalignment.
- Your dentist will advise according to your child’s age and dental development when deciding the right treatment plan for your child. On the other hand, as a preventive measure, it is always important to enforce good oral hygiene habits for your child since young.
Extraction of primary teeth (Milk Teeth)
- Primary teeth are meant to become shaky and shed when the permanent teeth start to erupt. Usually primary teeth will fall out on their own as a physiologic process. However, extraction of primary teeth will be recommended in a few scenarios, one of them is retained primary teeth after eruption of permanent teeth. Another scenario is when the decay is so severe that the teeth are deemed unsalvageable, or when the tooth has a potential risk to severe infection that may have harmful effects to the child’s general health.
- Primary teeth that are very shaky can normally be extracted with only topical anesthetic gel without local anesthesia injection. For primary teeth that need to be extracted far before their exfoliation time or still firm in the jaw, local anesthesia injections are usually indicated.