A natural tooth consists of a crown (the part you see above the gum), and the root (the part hidden under the gum within the jawbone which is only visible in a dental radiograph). When a person has a missing tooth, the dentists have to restore the tooth that comes with a supportive root under the gums.
A missing tooth can lead to potential problems if not treated:
- Drifting and shifting of the neighbouring teeth causing an unbalanced bite
- Increased biting stress on other teeth
- Bone recession (bone loss) in the area of the missing tooth
- The gap between teeth widens, thereby compromising the aesthetic effect
- Losing your natural smile