Tiew Dental provides Jaw Joint Disorder Treatment in Kuala Lumpur Malaysia, we also provide Orthodontic Treatment, Laser Snoring Treatment, and more.
Jaw Joint Disorder（TMD）
What is TMJ?
A temporomandibular joint (TMJ) is a hinge that connects your jaw to the temporal bones of your skull, which are situated in front of our ears. It allows us to open our mouth, move the jaw side to side and to chew. Temporomandibular disorders (TMD) are problems with the jaw, joints and muscles that control the TMJ. Common problems would be pain at the joint during function, opening or closing, clicking, locked jaw or jaw dropping. It’s common for people of age between 20-40. Faster recovery and fewer chances of recurring if treated early.
What Causes TMD?
• A heavy blow, whiplash, accidental knock on the joint
• Bruxism or grinding of teeth
• Deformed condylar disc (a soft cushion or disc between the ball and socket of the joint)
• Infections in the joint
• Stress that tightens facial and jaw muscles and make one clenches their teeth
What Are the Symptoms?
• TMD often causes
• severe pain or discomfort on the joint, face, in or around the ear
• clicking heard during jaw opening and closing
• difficulty in mouth opening or closing
• pain while chewing
• jaw deviation
• could not close mouth after yawning, pain during yawning or jaw clicking during yawning
• swelling on the side of the face
It can be temporary or last many years. It might affect one or both sides of your face.
• Dental laser to help in healing of joints and muscles and pain relieve
• Pain killer or antibiotics or muscle relaxant to relieve any infection and deal with pain
• Take vitamin c to help in healing of the inflamed tissues
• Soft diet to allow healing of joint before resuming normal function.
Posted by ST Tiew Dental Group on Jumaat, 22 Jun 2018